In developing a theme for this blog, I have been building around the different technologies & techniques that contribute to best practice web site management. Here I will outline the various areas that need to be addressed when managing a web site, and as I develop posts that address them, I will link to them.
Please feel free to comment and contribute other topical areas of interest that you feel should be covered under this umbrella of web site management.
- Domain Names
- The name used for a web site as it appears in a browser address. Buying, Selling, and managing.
- Domain Name Services (DNS)
- The service that translates a domain name & web host name into an IP number in order to be accessible over the Internet. Management, services & doing your own.
- Web Hosting
- The server that contains the content of a web site. Shared, Dedicated, Managed and Grid.
- Email Hosting
- Commonly provided with web hosting in order to use the same domain name for email. Same host or dedicated provider. Mailing list management.
- Content Management
- How content of the site is updated and edited. Static files, blog systems, portals, custom content management systems (CMS).
- Site Monitoring
- Proving to your clients your reliability requires records and third-party validation. Service monitoring, outage tracking & alerting of problems to responsible staff.
- Logging & Statistics
- Who is visiting your site. Analysis of your server logs gives a lot of information that is useful to marketers, as well as for optimizing your site.
- Search Engine Optimization & Marketing (SEO / SEM)
- An amalgamation of the techniques above, including log analysis since that tells you how people are getting to your site & content management since you can optimize your results by how you write your content.